Understanding The Insurance Claims Process
Each state has unique insurance settlement laws and requirements, and unless you are in complete understanding of these limitations and rules you simply cannot successfully undertake an insurance settlement. Each state handles things differently, but gathered are some general guiding points for successfully undertaking an insurance settlement:
- You are responsible for contacting your insurer once it comes time to file a claim. During this initial communication, they will provide you with the forms you need to fill out and give you a rundown of the procedures to take.
- Once you submit a claims form, the processing period begins. You may need to include proof of loss when you file this claim, which can include a bill of service or a repair estimate. Make sure to make copies of all forms for your personal records.
- After all of the paperwork has been submitted, you will want to follow up on your claims request. Since you have copies of all the papers you submitted, you can fix any discrepancies during your follow up call.
- Chances are, your insurer will have additional questions and requests, so be prepared to answer any questions they may have. Being ready for these incidents as opposed to being bitter that your claim has not been settled yet will significantly ease the process.
- Most importantly, remain calm and collected at all times and feel free to ask any questions you may have. This process is not a secret, and your insurance agent will gladly guide you through the steps.
Serving Staten Island and the surrounding New York metropolitan area, contact the DiForte Agency for all of your insurance needs. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you need to file a claim. We will be your guiding hand to ensure that you are able to successfully undertake your insurance settlement.