Anchor Your Summer In Safety With This Guide
If you own a pool, summer is likely one of your favorite times of year. You have the opportunity to head to your pool, relaxing by the water’s edge or even going for a soothing swim, and always have a way to beat the summer heat. You also, unfortunately, have a huge risk. So that everyone can enjoy your pool in safety, use these tips.
- Completely surround your pool with a perimeter fence that is at least four feet tall and has a self-closing, self-latching gate. This will ensure that no pets and small children who do not know how to swim can accidentally fall into the water.
- If you are swimming with your infant or toddler, practice touch supervision. In other words, never let them be further than arm’s reach away. This is true even when they are using flotation devices.
- As soon as your children are old enough (at about 1 year of age), enroll them in swim classes. Learning to swim is crucial if you plan to let them play near your pool.
- Check your pools chemical levels regularly to ensure that your water stays safe and balanced, avoiding rashes, earaches, or worse.
- Implement pool rules like “No Running” and “No Diving” to instill safe behaviors in your children and their friends.
- Become CPR certified so that you can be ready to respond to an emergency.
Were someone to get injured by your pool and sue you for the damages, would you be able to handle the expense? To ensure your New York homeowners insurance is offering the protection you need as a pool owner, including liability coverage, contact The DiForte Agency in Staten Island. We have years of experience helping homeowners with swimming pools get the coverage they need.